The SFD – A New Way Of Visualizing Excreta Management In Nairobi City

Since May 2017, Sanergy has been working with the Ministry of Health, City County of Nairobi and the African Population and Health Research Center (APHRC) in a mapping exercise to develop Nairobi’s first comprehensive ‘Shit Flow Diagram (SFD)’. The SFD is a toolkit developed by the World Bank and tested in over 50 cities to help visualize and understand how sanitation waste physically flows through the city from defecation to disposal or end-use.

Nairobi’s Shift Flow Diagram shows that 60% of Nairobi residents are not connected to sewers and only 34% of the county’s human waste is treated. The remaining 66% of waste ends up untreated in the Nairobi river or in the open environment, a significant health and environmental risk that harms Nairobi’s citizens. 6% of Nairobi residents still practice open defecation.

While unveiling the map, leaders from the county and national governments committed to keep pushing for increased budgetary allocation to WASH. The Kenya Sanitation and Hygiene policy aims to achieve and sustain 100% access to improved sanitation by 2030 and to increase public investment in sanitation from 0.2% to at least 0.5% of the GDP by 2020 and to 0.9% of the GDP by 2030.

While the SFD paints a grim reality, there is a renewed commitment by all stakeholders to strengthen private-public partnerships that will accelerate the implementation of cost-effective forms of sanitation that promote the safe treatment and reuse of waste for energy and agricultural purposes. Our model safely contains and treats all of the waste at a cost that is 5 times cheaper compared to the conventional sewer network. We are excited to be at the forefront of championing safe sanitation for all Nairobi residents!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *